Hi all! Phil Rice here. In my introductory article to Practical Spirituality, I mention caring for ones body and mind in order to thrive spiritually. But the key energy for actually thriving spiritually is regular [continual] communion with God. We reach for God and our spirits are fed by this communion and connection with him. So… here’s the big question… How do we hear God? The topic of Hearing God can feel daunting and unattainable. But the reality is, God wants us to hear him.
Hearing God… some Phil Rice thoughts
Here are a few quick thoughts that help me navigate hearing God.
A filter for differentiating God’s voice from other voices:
- A good tree bears good fruit, a bad tree bears bad fruit (Matthew 7). If submitting to an internal voice causes bad fruit, it is not the voice of God and we need never heed it ever again.
- As we navigate our internal and external worlds, take note of the good fruit. God clearly articulates the fruit of experiencing him in scripture and as we are mindful of the good fruit, we are able to trace it back to him.
- Jesus says of his followers, ‘My [followers] hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.’ (John 10). His promise to us is that as we follow him, we will know his voice and we will be led by him.
Hearing God applied…
- Are there voices/influences that I am allowing to impact me that are growing bad fruit? If so, bring them before God in prayer and invite him to expose these voices for what they are. Ask him to give you the strength to stop receiving these voices as truth.
- Jesus says, I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. Take a few moments and invite Jesus to share the reality of his abundance with you. Invite him to speak.
- Share your thoughts with the philrice.blog community in the comments section, we’d love to hear your perspective!
And as Samuel postured himself before the Lord, may we all posture our hearts before him saying, speak Lord, your servant is listening.